December 29, 2014

New Year Intentions: The Goals Ahead

Pay down most, if not all personal debt (excluding federal student loans) Yes, I am human, and I have debt. It's the hideous little part of my life that I despise, but have come to realize that when the worst of life happens...It's sort of part of why it's there. I've never been one to have a frivolous spending problems. Yes, I like nice things, but most always I will never pay full value for it. Otherwise my rule is that I can't afford it. Credit to me is not something to be used because I want something badly and can't afford it. For me, it's been a crutch during hard times. While most people might argue that this is not 'healthy' and that someone financially responsible would have funds for even the worst events saved, it's not always possible. As a result of this, combined with the fact that this coming year I will have held the occupation of "student" for more of my existence than now; I have debt, albeit manageable. 

Put myself in a position of buying a home Paying off most if not all of my debt will inevitably lead to my ability to be able to purchase a home. Other than the debt, my income is stable and my credit healthy.

PR on Marathon pace Having completed a marathon in 2014 was one of my biggest goals to date. While there are people out there who run marathons for a living, there are many times that I face the fact that at 5"1, and a rather athletic build for my frame; my body is not "ideally" built for running. This year I will be turning 29---yes folks believe it or not  I will be inching near thirty this year despite my incredibly youthful appearance (I attribute my athleticism to this---try it!) I would like to ideally come close to the 4:00 marathon finish, and train this year so as to avoid the occurrence of an injury per-marathon. So far it's an uphill battle since I am still recovering from an annoying injury from the Marine Corps Marathon.

SO WHAT'S MY PLAN?
As far as debt, despite the fact that I already work full time, on top of attending Grad school, I would like to find a second job. Something I can either do from home, or on my own time to earn the extra income. Some ideas I've tossed around include online advising for higher ed, selling custom furniture, professional organizing and/or home redecorating. Additionally, I would like to create cash budgets for necessity items and get away from using debit cards so much. Doing this, I hope, will allow me to be more realistic with my spending habits.

Buying a home is the easy part....Finding the right fit for me will be the diamond in the rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment