January 11, 2014

30 Days To A New You: Nutrition

DAY FIVE!
Congratulate yourself, you've already made the first five day and are inching your way towards completing your first week! At this point you've probably figured out that some things are working while other things are not. You're feeling over-hungry, irritable, not hungry at all, or experiencing strong cravings; despite your stellar efforts of maintaing your commitment to going to the gym. So whats wrong? It may be what you are or are not eating! Today we will overview the importance of proper nutrition in correlation with routine exercise.

I got a great video message from a client late last night, disclosing to me how much she is eating, and that she feels like she's "starving all the time." Standing at about 5"6 at about 135lbs, she confided in me that she was eating 1,200 calories---far below her dietary need-- even for losing weight. Even during my training season when I need to cut back on weight, my 1,200 calories was much too low for what my body needed in order to sustain my muscularity. (& I'm 5"0 @ a buck-20!)

Proper nutrition is essential when you begin a new workout regiment. It's also important to know that there is such a thing as losing weight too quickly. Here are some things that I commonly see clients do, that can really hurt efforts towards losing weight/toning up. Please be advised these guidelines are geared towards individuals who have little to no routine in the gym prior to the start of their nutrition modification. While I hold no formal credentials in my area, I have experimented with a number of diets in the past, with a variety of different training goals in mind, I understand with professional knowledge, the impacts/need for proper nutrition. Before I outline the below, I would also like to add, that every one- person has his/her own unique and individual dietary needs. These are purely open suggestions to help get you to wear you want to be. The advice may or may not work for anyone and what you test is at your own discretion.

With the liability piece out of the way, here are some of the things I see.

RESTING METABOLIC RATE (RMR)
First, figuring out your resting metabolic rate (RMR) is really important. Your resting metabolic rate is the rate at which your body burns calories even when you are not physically active. Its defined as the minimum amount of calories your body needs, just to stay alive---with no activity taken into consideration. (i.e. the gym!)
Things that can affect you metabolic rate
  • Age- decreases with age
  • Climate- colder climates tend to increase your RMR, whereas hotter climates decrease RMR
  • Eating Habits- eat small meal will increase you metabolism and also your RMR
  • Pregnancy- increase RMR
  • Poor dieting- decreases when you are not eating properly
  • Dietary supplements- can increase RMR
Here is a link to a RMR Calculator

Once you have figured out your RMR you can properly gauge the best approach. Small meals throughout the day are always best. This not only keeps your metabolism active, but it also keeps you satisfied and not feeling the need to 'binge' eat.

Now that we've gotten the importance of calories out of the way, you need to make sure you are eating to sustain proper growth.

PROTEIN, PROTEIN, PROTEIN
I can't emphasize enough how important protein intake is in the daily diet. Eating one meal with 16g of protein vs 3-5 snacks throughout the day can really improve your eating habit. Protein is not only responsible for building/repairing new muscle, but it also plays a key role in how satisfied you feel after a meal. Ever wonder why eating that bowl of pasta left you feeling starved after, and then a week later eating the same pasta paired with ground beef left you full? It was your protein intake!

SUGAR IN HIGH LEVELS IS YOUR GREATEST ENEMY
In relation to your protein, it's also important to watch what food have for sugar--this includes snacks and breads; which each carry, typical high levels of sugar. I won't get into how much you should or shouldn't have here, but I will add that balance is key. Stored sugar stored into fat, fat is a major complaint I hear when training clients. I like to think of it this way, if I had a meal that consisted of tuna salad on two slices of whole grain bread, for a snack, instead of going for the chips, crackers or candy, I am going to opt for something more wholesome and nutritious like fruit (avocado) or even cottage cheese with fruit mixed in.


And lastly, but not least don't forget to drink WATER! It's a great detox for the whole body and keeps your body properly hydrated.


Long winded post, but I hope this helps. Any questions please feel free to email me!
 kwojtasinski  
@gmail.com


Keep up the great work!

No comments:

Post a Comment