January 15, 2014

You Are What You Eat

GYM ROUTINE
Now that you've completed week one, week two is all about sticking with your routine. Fine tune the days and times that work best for you to go to the gym, and stick with them. When an unexpected curveball gets thrown into your routine, as it probably often does; be sure to alter your day accordingly, but still make sure to fit your workout in somehow.

EATING HABITS
As for meals, this is going to be the greatest challenge: Not cheating on yourself. There's more temptation out there than not. A general question I ask myself personally when making healthy choices:
what will this look like later? 
I ask myself this for a few reasons.
Throughout the years, I have  tried many diets, been tested for many allergies/sensitivities, and physically trained my body with a variety of athletic goals in mind. I've learned that what I eat greatly impacts my all around performance. To give you a better understanding of what I mean, here is an example. Please note that I am using a drastic comparison to draw deeper level of understanding to why we really are "what we eat."

If you tend to be someone who often indulges in guilty pleasures of the "Three C's" (Cookies, Candy, Chips), remind yourself how much work you are putting in at the gym. Lets say that one Famous Amos cookie sets you back 90 calories, heres a look at  how that should translate while you're at the gym:
REFOCUS
Think of your workout in terms of what your goal is. What did you set out to achieve with making strides towards the newer, more refocused you? Are you looking to slim down and tone muscle, or are you simply looking to neutralize your weight and not pack on anymore pounds? Neither one goal is better than the other in terms of personal achievement; but equal in terms of becoming a better you. So when you head to the gym, be honest with yourself. Size up what you've eaten and how much time you've put in at the gym, is the math adding up?

In the days ahead I want to open up a little more understanding to how the food you eat affects you. This is a great building block. Keep up the great work!



No comments:

Post a Comment